Current advice regarding the current situation in Belgium which will apply to all MAPFRE underwritten schemes.
March 2016: Zaventem Airport, Brussels possible terrorist bombing
Further to this, ABTA have provided the following instructions:
“Following explosions in Brussels on 22 March, travellers in Brussels are advised to follow the instructions of Belgian security authorities. People who are due to travel should contact their airline or travel company for information about travel to and from Brussels.”
Just as in the UK where the terrorism threat level is severe, travellers should remain alert and vigilant, especially in places where there is a high concentration of people, as advised by the UK Foreign & Commonwealth Office (FCO). The FCO also recommends that travellers should follow the advice of local authorities and respect security controls and that people in Brussels should stay away from crowded places and avoid public transport at this time.
November 2015: Brussels terrorist attacks
On 20 November 2015, the Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) changed their advice regarding Brussels, Belgium, following a serious and significant threat of a terrorist attack in the city. They are now advising against all but essential travel to the entire country, and are making arrangements to bring any Brits currently there home. https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/belgium
If you’re currently in Belgium, please note that your policy will provide full cover in the event of an incident.
If you have booked a holiday to Belgium, please contact your holiday company as soon as you can as they should be able to either rearrange your holiday for another time or offer you a full refund. We currently are not providing cover for cancellation to Belgium, as a result of this threat, as no actual incident has occurred.
If you have a travel insurance policy with us, we can change this to cover your new holiday providing the new trip is within three months of your original departure date, is for the same (or no longer) duration and is to the same geographical area. If your trip is cancelled and you are being fully refunded by your holiday company and so have no claim to make under this insurance, we will also consider the cancellation and refund of your existing policy. Please note that this will only apply to Single Trip policies for specific trips covering the dates concerned.
We have also updated the advice regarding what cover we can offer you if you’re currently in Belgium below (updates in brackets):
- Medical expenses – Any medical claims arising as a result of any attacks are fully covered under the policy terms and conditions.
- Repatriation –If, as a result of this threat or an incident, the British government choose to bring people home, customers should refer to both their holiday companies and the British government to get home. If, for any reason, customers cannot be repatriated by either of these then we will provide cover for this in line with your medical needs.
- Cutting short your trip – There is currently no cover for choosing to cut short your trip as a result of the threat in place; however, if you have travelled and have been unable to undertake a prebooked and prepaid excursion as a result of the “lock down” in Brussels, we will refund up to £1,000 per person for these upon receipt of clarification from your excursion / holiday company as to why they will not reimburse this to you. This is extra cover that is not detailed in the policy terms and conditions, therefore the limits and excesses set out in the policy booklet do not apply in this case.
- Cancellation – We currently are not providing cover for cancellation to Belgium, as a result of this threat, as no actual incident has occurred.
Please note that our advice remains valid until further notice, when we have been advised this restriction will be removed.
If you have any queries, please get in touch with us.
FCO Advice: https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/belgium
1. BRITISH EMBASSY:
Address: British Embassy, Avenue d’Auderghem 10, 1040 Bruxelles, Belgium
Phone:+32 2 287 62 11
2. FOREIGN OFFICE NUMBERS FOR RELATIVES OF THOSE IN BELGIUM:
Phone number in the UK: 0207 008 1500