1. Eat well – eating regular, warm meals will help to keep your energy levels up this winter.
2. Dress in layers – instead of wearing one thick layer, you will get better results by putting a few thinner ones instead.
3. Keep active – even a small amount of exercise every day can make a difference.
4. Insulate your home – making sure you don’t let the warmth escape will also help to keep your heating costs down.
5. Hot water bottle – carry one around, keep it in your bed or even warm your clothes up on a cold morning.
6. Electric blanket – but make sure you unplug it before you go to sleep.
7. Heat one room at a time – keep one area of your home nice and cosy and enjoy your evenings with the whole family;
8. Keep your head and feet warm – putting on warm socks and a hat will help keeping your whole body warm for longer.
9. Choose wool instead of cotton and synthetics – wool will keep you warm even when it is wet.
10. Put an extra blanket or duvet on your bed – turn your heating down and enjoy a great night’s sleep.
Looking for snowy adventures, the best place to see the northern lights or just a great place for coffee? Europe offers a superb choice of winter holidays. If you want guaranteed snow on the pistes this Christmas and New Year or beyond, there’s still time to book a bargain ski break.
Here’s our opinion of some of the best winter sports holiday destinations right now:
Prague – Czech Republic
Winter is a great time to visit Prague. Discover the beautiful architecture of the snow-covered old town or the courtyards of Prague Castle.
Arlberg – Austria
Your much-awaited winter holiday will be in good hands, because of a hundred years of experience in the Arlberg’s mountain world.
Les Menuires (French Alps) – France
This beautiful resort has plenty of snow during the winter time. If you are a confident skier you will enjoy the slopes, which are mainly for intermediate to advanced levels of experience, and you’ll also find slopes for entry level skiers.
Abisco (Swedish Lapland) Sweden
If you always wanted to see the Northern Lights, Abisco is the place to go. Whether you are travelling alone or with friends, it’s a good value holiday and a great idea for a winter break.
Madonna di Campiglio – Italy
This very stylish and traditional ski resort is located between the Brenta Dolomites and the glaciers of Adamello and Presanella. After having a great time on the slope you can relax in the evening at one of many pubs or restaurants.